The Shuswap Watershed Council has about 20 council members including local politicians, First Nations, community representatives and provincial government ministries. It helps enhance water quality and safe recreation in the Shuswap
And here is a link to the Shuswap Watershed Council website, www.ShuswapWater.ca where you can find more information.
We'll keep you informed.
- Shuswap Watershed Nutrient Research- March 2020 (3/18/2020) - The Shuswap Watershed Council (SWC) has released a short report entitled “Understanding Nutrients and Water Quality in the Shuswap River and Salmon River” that is available on the SWC website (https://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/TR_SWC/SWC_Nutrients_WaterQuality_Feb_5_2020_WEB.pdf). As the title indicates, the results of three years of research have shown that the sources of excess phosphorus (P) are along the Shuswap […]
- SWC asked SWOA to Participate in Program Review (7/5/2018) - At the June 13, 2018 Shuswap Watershed Council meeting, their Board determined that an interim review of their programs be initiated as indicated in their terms of Reference. The watershed council has initiated the program and SWOA has been asked to have one representative participate in the review and SWOA has accepted the invitation. We […]
- SWC – Water Quality (10/26/2017) - Update on Water Quality - October 2017 Earlier this year, the Shuswap Watershed Council published a summary report presenting water quality data collected in the watershed in 2016. The report is available to the public and can be obtained from their website (https://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/TR_SWC/2016_shuswap_wq_summary.pdf). Included in the report is a brief interpretation of the data but […]
- SWC- Update Invasive Defensive Measures (10/26/2017) - Update on Invasive Mussel Defensive Measures - October 2017 The Shuswap Watershed Council also received an update from the Provincial Invasive Species Coordinator on the continuing efforts to identify potential carriers of invasive mussels from east of the Rockies. As a reminder, zebra and quagga mussels were brought to the great lakes many years ago […]
- New tax portfolio… for your dock – January update. (2/2/2017) - We have new and ongoing information about the new waterfront taxation folio that you will be receiving, either now or in the next year or two. This involves some double taxation on the part of the CSRD. To read our January update on that, make sure your membership is up to date!
- SWC – Dec 8/16 minutes (12/21/2016) - The Shuswap Watershed Council had a meeting on December 8th, 2016. Here are the draft minutes. Dec 8, 2016 SWC Minutes
- Shuswap Watershed Council Funded! (11/21/2015) - The results are in from the alternate approval process to fund the Watershed Council on an ongoing basis. Only 645 of the required 1534 votes were cast and the Board can proceed with implementing the parcel tax. It will be interesting to find out how many votes were disqualified. I repeatedly heard two comments from […]
- Shuswap Watershed Council (July update) (7/6/2015) - Shuswap Lake Integrated Planning Process (Shuswap Watershed Council) The council is proceeding as if it is a foregone conclusion that they will be funded and will have a mandate to coordinate water quality testing, conduct nutrient remediation efforts, and somehow get involved in boating safety. The council recently missed an opportunity to show they are […]
- SWC – SWOA’s position and their response (4/26/2015) - After the January 15 SWC meeting where it was suggested that SWOA might be invited to the table, we told the SWC board that we'd be happy to join them. We said that we'd put together a position paper to let them know our.. position on various topics and they could then decide to invite […]
- Shuswap Lake Integrated Planning Process (1/27/2015) - At the January 15th regular meeting, the regional district board was delivered a report they commissioned on governance and funding models for the Shuswap Watershed Council. The report “The Shuswap Watershed Water Quality Service Feasibility Study” can be read in its entirety by going to www.csrd.bc.ca > Inside the CSRD > Meetings > Board Meetings […]
- Shuswap Watershed Council (12/18/2014) - As in past years, SLIPP has taken a lot of our time. Even though SLIPP ended in March, it lives on with the same players under a new name. The Shuswap Watershed Council (SWC) still hasn’t presented its five year plan, due out last September. Initial indications are that it will not be the SWOA […]
- Shuswap Lake Integrated Planning Process (9/1/2014) - The Watershed Council recently completed a series of 6 public information meetings to gauge public support and consult the public this summer over the future of the organization. A seventh meeting scheduled for Sorrento was cancelled due to bad weather and is rescheduled for September 15th. A total of 93 people attended the first 6 […]